Getting a Working Holiday Visa in Australia (subclass 417): A Guide

How easy could be the process of getting a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417).

Australia is a promising destination for young civil engineers and construction professionals looking to visit and work within the country. If you are thinking to move for a career development within the construction industry while immersing yourself in the Australian culture, you should consider a Working Holiday Visa that allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months. There are many job opportunities in Australia to participate in some of the most important civil and structural engineering projects in the country. Let’s see how easy could be the process of getting a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417).


To be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, you must be aged between 18 and 30 and hold a passport from an eligible country or jurisdiction and must not be accompanied by dependent children. Some countries also have an age limit of 35.

Passport and age conditions:

To be eligible you must hold a passport from the following countries and jurisdictions:

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders), Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport), The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. For almost all these countries and jurisdictions your age must be between 18 to 30.

Except for Canada, Denmark, France, Republic of Ireland and Italy where the age limit is between 18 to 35.

It’s important to know that if you apply for the visa while you are 30 (or 35), but turn 31 (or 36) within the period of the application process, they may still grant you the visa.

Application Process:

The application process for a Working Holiday visa can be done online through the Department of Home Affairs website. You will need to provide personal and passport details, as well as information about your intended travel and work plans in Australia.


The cost of a Working Holiday visa varies depending on the country or jurisdiction of origin, but it typically costs around AUD510.

Additionally, you must be prepared with enough money to finance your stay in Australia. The total investment may be about AUD5,000 for your initial 12-month period, plus the costs of your return.


Once your Working Holiday Visa is approved, they will provide you the visa grant number, the date your visa starts and your visa conditions. If you wish to extend the stay and it is your first Working Holiday Visa you may be able to apply for a second and a third one once you finish the period and meet the criteria.

Working in Australia:

With a Working Holiday Visa, you can work in any industry, but you may need to obtain additional qualifications or certifications for certain roles. It’s also important to be aware of the National Minimum Wage in Australia, which is currently AUD21.38 per hour.

Getting a Working Holiday visa can allow you work and travel within the country for a year, as well as it can help you to achieve your career goals by working for the largest companies of the industry. By following the eligibility criteria and application process, you can find a good job opportunity and start your career development within the civil construction industry.

If this may be of interest and you wish to explore job opportunities in Australia, please submit your cv here

We will be publishing another blog about the second working holiday visa very soon, and we invite you to stay tuned for more updates. Our team has been working hard to create even more useful and interesting content for you and we can’t wait to share it with you.

You can follow us on LinkedIn to be the first to know when our new blog is published.